Sunday 24 February 2013

Before we get back in the wheel...

Oh my, I've not posted anything since October...somebody slap me! My New Year resolution should have been to blog more!

OK, so what have I done since I last bored you then, well a fair amount actually...
There was the brilliant Gaslight Anthem in Brixton (I'll gloss over my swooning over Brian during sound check - yes that did happen, sound check...and swooning - of course you wouldn't think that of me, I know I'm just not like that!);

There was Soundgarden at Shepherds Bush Empire who were bloody amazing, Chris Cornell is still huminah huminah, and the weekend involved a night when scarily PJ friends met one of my best friends from another 'friendship box' - they all remain my friends as far as I am aware;

There was Frank Turner and the Sleeping Souls in Truro. I do love this man. It was brilliant to see him 25 minutes from home with friends from work, oh and to get a hug and chat to him after the gig was nice too (I managed not to embarrass myself); 

Oh of course there was Christmas where I was once again spoilt by my family and friends, I can never repay such kindness and some gifts reduced me to tears with thoughtfulness and generosity;

New Year was a PJ family meet up in Bristol, it was great to see everyone. We managed to find a fab Italian restaurant, drank copious amounts of alcohol and laughed a lot. Pretty good if you ask me. Oh and I managed to buy a fab new lipstick :) 

So, 2013 huh. Well  it's nearly March and that fact is scary enough. When I was a kid time seemed irrelevant somehow, it was somehow far longer. Now time seems to sweep by without being noticed. Thus far there's been ups and downs, a short but very sweet visit to Liverpool and a brilliant Brad gig. 
Those of you who aren't Pearl Jam obsessed may have missed this Seattle band, this is the first time they've played in Europe and they've been going 20 years. Yes, indeed amongst their ranks is a member of that PJ band I talk so much of, but this band is not about him. I admit I don't own everything they've done, I was intrigued, and prior to the gig it was more about catching up with people I don't get to see very often. However, Birmingham Academy 2 played host to one of the most honest and heartfelt gigs I have been too in a long time.
The night began and ended with a song called Buttercup, what happened in between was quite magical. Shawn Smith (singer for Brad) has an amazing tone to his voice, it fills the room in the most gentle of ways, wrapping around you as almost a comfort. The band gel on stage, they just seemed to be enjoying themselves, it almost felt like they were letting the audience into some secret they've held dear for years. It was genius. There are people who know the songs much better than me that will be able to comment on the specifics, but I loved the flow of the set list. Screen was amazing, Shawn Smith's solo part of the encore was simply beautiful (Crown of Thorns laid out bare on piano was a triumph) and a cover of Jumping Jack Flash which lit up the room. 
It was a genuine pleasure to experience them and I hope they come back soon. 

What's ahead I hear none of you asking, well I am going to tell you anyway... three Gaslight Anthem gigs in March (Bristol and London), Bruce Springsteen and maybe Neil Young in June (they know it's my birthday obviously!), Sarah Millican stand up with my bestest friend swiftly followed by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds both in October. Hopefully more gigs will be added along the way.
Amongst that there are some weddings of family and friends (not one for me, no man is that daft!) and peeps visiting me. 
Now I promise to write again soon... slap me if I don't!

No comments:

Post a Comment