Sunday 24 June 2012

Once upon a time, I could lose myself - pt 2


...And so the week continued.
Wednesday was Manchester night 1, I think almost everyone at the shows popped by the Wellington pub at some point, or at least it felt like it. There was a definite sense of excitement in the air, the mood had changed when ticket pick up began  and merchandise photos began appearing on phone screens. People were heading to and from the venue and it all became more real in a way.  It was great to be among friends, to feel part of something again. I have to admit and it was noticed by others that on occasion I felt kind of lost, it was me gathering my thoughts, piecing stuff together in my own head. 

Heading to the venue, in a group, and after the support band had finished, some of the concerns I had began to fade (and some concerns were proved valid). Managing to spot some others we’d not found earlier in the day we headed in and found a spot on Mike’s side by the sound desk. We could see the stage, the TV screens, and had plenty of room to move about. 

The subsequent reviews of this gig have been mixed, and I guess mine is a mixed review. There seemed to be an unease in the general atmosphere, maybe because this was the first night of the tour. I certainly saw the majority of people getting completely into the gig and then a minority of others not getting it at all. On the way out through what appeared to be a 20 mile long escape tunnel, people’s immediate review was positive, there were a few who wanted sets full of rarities which were never ever going to happen and a couple who had actually come to see X.
Our group made their own entertainment, there were lengths of time we didn’t look at the stage, just having good fun ourselves. It was a great solid setlist, I'll be honest wasn’t blown away and I heard nothing new but I was definitely not disappointed. I really enjoyed it and I was glad I was there, the time just seemed to vanish and the personal elements were great. I especially loved Eddie mentioning Cornwall, Pete whoever you are (see edit below), I owe you a drink for getting him to mention it! (He needs to come visit - 10C gig at the Eden Project anyone??)

I loved hearing Jeremy, it may be the ‘famous’ song but I still enjoy it, Come Back (for Paul – you got it!) reduced me to tears and my heart pounded as I leapt about to State of Love and Trust (still my favourite Pearl Jam song, I could hear it at every gig and not get bored of it). 
Immortality and Insignificance are always good to hear, Better Man was a circle forming speciality for us lot and they pulled Pilate out of the bag, plus a Rockin’ In The Free World finish.  There were lots of smiles, there was that live music rush and I felt a sense of belonging. I was smiling. 

What became apparent after the gig and the following day was how the gig was viewed differently by those seeing the band for the first time. Hearing them speak with such a sense of excitement and exhilaration made me realise that it probably wasn’t the gig that was mixed, it was my perception of the gig. I make a point of trying not to have expectations about things, about people and events, but in this case, maybe I did, and that was wrong of me...as those first time PJ gig attendees proved. Them recounting their night was great, it was so very special for them. It made me love it that bit more myself. 

A load of us headed back to the Travelodge for some post gig beverages. People seemed to have enjoyed themselves, though some people continued to enjoy themselves in the hotel bar longer than they really ought to have, especially with another gig the next day. My 3am bedtime was pretty respectful in the grand scheme of things! :)
 
And on to night 2....

Edit - just been informed by friends that Pete is part of the crew and thus Cornwall has been mentioned a few times at UK gigs in the past! Well this was my first time to hear it so I loved it ...and the offer of a drink still stands :)

No comments:

Post a Comment