Sunday 30 September 2012

So shed your skin and let's get started...



So, the Eddie Vedder solo shows in Europe. They had been rumblings for a long time, they were dates and venues breeding in the rumour pit. The tour was expected to be announced when the EV ‘southern states’ tour was announced, but we in Europe had to wait a little while longer, but finally it was confirmed. 

The Pearl Jam tour was already planned and being paid for, I therefore made a decision to not got to the EV solo shows. I wouldn’t enter the ticket lottery, I wouldn’t go and I would just be pleased for those that could make the gigs. Besides, I am not a fan of Ukulele Songs, although I do love Into The Wild and Water on the Road was great (I have played Blackbird on repeat frequently).
As the ticket lottery deadline closed, it became apparent that most of my friends had entered and I went into a slow painful meltdown. Let's face it, of course I wanted to go, I wanted to see Eddie solo, to see him in a small venue, to see my friends. I had been silly in trying to kid myself. 

I went to all three gigs in the UK.  I have brilliant friends. (Special thanks to Kev and Jen)

With my elbow in pretty bad shape, I had to be careful but the gigs were seated and not raucous, so strapped up and armed with codeine I headed to Manchester. It was the day of the Olympic opening ceremony. I watched it on a big screen in the city centre, surrounded by all different nationalities and even got to see Frank Turner playing to what must be his biggest ever audience. 

Our rooms at Manchester University (good budget accommodation during the holidays!) were great other than my room lock (what is it with me and locks!). We made new friends in the pub before the gig and got soaked in the rain on the way to the venue. The Apollo had a lot to desire in terms of queuing/entrance and merchandise set up, it was abysmal. It’s a good job the poster was shockingly bad in my opinion.
We got in just in time to see Glen Hansard doing his slot. Unfortunately there were a small proportion of obnoxious people in the crowd, wittering away whilst Glen was trying to perform. It also wasn't a help that people were still coming in, trying to find seats and the doors to the bar were left open. All in all, not an auspicious start and Glen didn’t finish his planned set. When Eddie came on, people seemed to settle, but still there were people who can’t have a moment of quiet, why do they feel the need to shout and scream random stuff, I just don’t get it. 

I knew Ed would be good, but he was great! There were moments in that show which made my heart swell. I Am Mine, Tom Wait's Picture In A Frame, Off He Goes, Speed of Sound, Glen Hansard's Falling Slowly were just some of the highlights, and Arc - well, I don’t think I have the words. I had 10C seats with a friend at the front of the balcony and the view was great, I was so pleased I had changed my mind to go.
It was as always, brilliant, to see some of my closest friends at the gig. Saying goodbye to them at the train station was sad as I headed to London for the next gigs which they weren’t attending, mainly because I wasn’t sure when I’d see a few of them again. It turned out to be a few days later in the capital. Pearl Jam fans really are rabid! 

With the Olympics, everything in London was stupidly overpriced, hotels were especially so. I (and others) were very lucky to have a fairy god mother (and her family) who lives near Richmond and let us invade her house. 
Being part of this community really does make you feel proud, humble and happy. 

Glen Hansard had a really good reception at the shows  in London, I hope he took heart in that after Manchester. His voice has that old school deep emotional tone, one that can portray true angst and true love with ease – and yes that’s probably a rubbish description. I guess what I am trying to explain is that you can hear the warmth, honesty and integrity within him. His set, and when he joined Eddie on stage, were simply brilliant. The man deserves to be more acknowledged and known for the talent that he is. 

What’s great about gigs in London is being able to meet up with ‘virtual’ friends in person, often people can get to the capitol more easily than other places. I was able to gather promised hugs and provide promised drinks. It was good to see people who had been to different shows on the Pearl Jam tour, chat about their show experiences, I even assisted in freeing a trapped pigeon, certainly recounted the arm injury story and of course, purchased merchandise. (Hammersmith Apollo 1 - Manchester Apollo 0 on that!)
As I mentioned, some of my friends were only doing the Manchester gig, and some were only doing London. Oddly as fate had it, many ended up doing both cities in some way and for me, that was ace. I got to see more of them. I cherish my time with good people.

Eddie London night 1, didn’t quite meet Manchester for me. Maybe because he had already surpassed my expectations and I knew what I was in for. I knew that Arc would make me wibble, that the tone of his voice would give me shivers and that I would leave smiling (though I left without a poster as they sold out). It was a good show, but for me not a great show.

London night 2 was here, and I’ll admit it, I was wondering how I was going to feel. I knew it wouldn’t be disappointment, but I was wondering if two gigs was enough. I should never have had those thoughts. London night 2 was awesome. There was no ‘Arc’ but opening with Sometimes, hearing Eddie speak so comfortably, hearing other favourites such as Man of the Hour, Masters of War and Driftin’ left me assured that this gig, was the gig I needed to be at, this was why I needed to do these shows. Ed seemed so much more relaxed, his family were with him and his daughters even ventured on stage.
Other than Glen, there hadn’t been any special guests, until tonight. When Neil Finn came out to do ‘Throw Your Arms Around Me’ the gig took one of those, you had to be there turns, it was great to see and especially as I love the Crowded House cover of that song. 

Earlier in the evening, Eddie had spoken at length about The Who, even performing I’m One at the beginning of the first encore. He spoke with such passion, rather like me and my friends speak about Pearl Jam. After Neil Finn had been on stage, Ed’s guitar tech appeared to have a word with him, resulting in him briefly leaving the stage. He returned with a childish grin and to the right of the stage was Roger Daltrey. It was obviously ill prepared, but that's what made it special, it was great. Ed seemed in awe and just to be having so much fun. It was fantastic to witness, and his excitement passed through the crowd. There was an exhilaration in the audience, it was palpable. 

On top of the set and the guests,  I had third row seats, end of the centre block, with an amazing view of the stage...and the ability to get up and move to the front for the second encore. I did just that. As people moved forward allowed by security, I was amongst them. 
I am a rubbish rabid fan in some ways, I hate the idea of stalking the band, queuing all day for gigs, of waiting outside venues/hotels for them etc. I know others do it, and that is fine, but for me, I’m not comfortable with it. Therefore, my chances of meeting the band is pretty much nil. As Eddie came to front of the stage for a guitar solo, he was in touching distance, he was right in front of me (he is beautiful!). He mischievously looked out at the crowd, then down at the people gathered in front of him and slightly bent forward so his sweat dripped on us... nice! I might never get to meet him, but he has sweated on me!

I managed to get a few photos, on my phone. I hadn’t taken my proper camera to any of the gigs, only having one functioning arm and the threat of being thrown out if caught, had put me off. If I'd had it then I think they would have been awesome shots!
He came back over later, and ran across the front shaking/hitting everyone’s hands, I was lucky to be one of those people and that was sort of cool. 

I was definitely fooling myself in thinking I wouldn't go, I would never have forgiven myself for missing those gigs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment